It still happens every once in a while. I’ll get a call from someone who wants to use hypnosis to get nothing short of super-powers.
They will often reference at least one of these movies: Lawnmower Man, Lucy or Limitless.
What each of these movies promise is a mind bending ability to heighten ones awareness so that it surpasses anything ordinary and human.
It is a seductive idea to believe some drug, technology or magical ritual will instantly transform you into a form of ubermensch.
As amazing a tool as it is I have to help people understand what hypnosis can and can’t do.
- Hypnosis CANNOT turn you into a concert pianist if you don’t know how to play the piano.
- Hypnosis CANNOT give you practical skills that have never been practiced.
- Hypnosis CAN increase your motivation to learn a new skill.
- Hypnosis CAN overcome internal obstacles to learning, like beliefs “I’m a slow learner” to “Learning is easy for me”.
- Hypnosis CAN help you overcome fears that have stopped you from learning.
- Hypnosis CAN make you believe you have skills you don’t. This will usually last only as long as you don’t test it. Don’t test this with flight or stopping bullets with your teeth.
- Hypnosis CAN help you enjoy learning, practicing and mastering any skill. No matter how good you are at a skill practice will improve it.
There is no substitute for practice. I can’t stress this enough “There is no substitute for practice“.
A great book I recommend for anyone who wants to be “great” in their field is Mastery by Robert Greene. In it Greene illustrates how mastery (real mastery) of a skill only happens after about 10,000 hours of practice. After 10,000 hours the skill learned becomes so ingrained it effects other parts of the human neurology and begins to incorporate other experiences to create a new level of study.
Hypnosis is not a substitute for study, learning and practice but it can make those things easier.
Final Note: I’ve been asked how one can get good at going into hypnosis. It’s not hard to do on it’s own but many of the “weird” hypnotic phenomenon seem strange to imagine. That’s why I developed The Super Somambulist Hypnsis Training. Check it out and tell me your thoughts.
David Barron (aka Dantalion Jones)
A person essentially help to make critically articles I would state.
This is the very first time I frequented your web page and so far?
I amazed with the research you made to create this actual put
up extraordinary. Excellent job!